top of page
Is there any fee for downloading any documents from this site?


No, Spread The Purple is a non-profit organization that does not charge a fee for any of our services.

How Would I Use a Grant?


You need to identify a true, legitimate reason that you need a grant and search for grant programs designed to help people in your situation.



Frequently Asked Questions


A quick guide to services and programs that can assist you. Also a quick guide to see if you pre-qualify.


Who Receives Grants?


There are many different programs available under different categories. Your best chances of receiving a grant are by sorting through the grant options that exist and narrowing down your list of grants to apply for, according to your needs.


Are there special homeowner grants or programs for single parents?


Although as a single parent, you won’t have the benefit of two incomes on which to qualify for a loan, consider getting pre-qualified, so that when you find a house you like in your price range you won’t have the delay of trying to get qualified.


Where do I look for Homeless Assistance?


If you are homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, or know someone that is homeless, help is available. Local homeless assistance agencies provide a range of services, including shelter, food, housing counseling, and job skills programs. For information about housing, you can start by contacting a homeless assistance or a housing counseling agency in your area.


Are there any financial help for senior homeowners?


The Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) is FHA’s reverse mortgage program, which enables you to withdraw some of the equity in your home. The HECM is a safe plan that can give older Americans greater financial security. Many seniors use it to supplement Social Security, meet unexpected medical expenses, and make home improvements and more. You can receive additional free information about reverse mortgages in general by contacting the National Council on Aging at (800) 510-0301.



What is a reverse mortgage?


A reverse mortgage is a special type of home loan that lets you convert a portion of the equity in your home into cash.

The equity that you built up over years of making mortgage payments can be paid to you. However, unlike a traditional home equity loan or second mortgage, HECM borrowers do not have to repay the HECM loan until the borrowers no longer use the home as their principal residence or fail to meet the obligations of the mortgage. You can also use a HECM to purchase a primary residence if you are able to use cash on hand to pay the difference between the HECM proceeds and the sales price plus closing costs for the property you are purchasing.

How can I save on daycare expenses?


Subsidized childcare can save you plenty of money over time which can in turn boost savings. In addition to these solutions offered by NPOs, government also offers daycare assistance to families meeting income and asset requirements. You can choose a care provider fitting your needs, and ask for assistance towards paying for this provider. Applicants who are found to be eligible and approved for the program will be required to contribute a co-payment whose amount depends on your gross income.


Does rental assistance really exist for multi-income household?


Yes, assistance for paying rent does exist, and this program is not just available for single mothers. The rental assistance is provided for any family which is unable to afford the rent. If your monthly income is low relative to the median income of the area you are living in, you are likely to get approved for rental assistance from the HUD [Housing and Urban Development].


Are there really job placement programs available for those who have a criminal background?


Yes, there are various paid programs that are available to help transition an individual from jail into the workforce, such as local Salvation Army Family Store, Churches, One-Stop Career Centers, AAMCO Transmissions, UPS, Subways, Budget Rent-A Car, and more. Contact us for more job listings in your state.




Where can I go if I am facing immediate eviction?


  • Your local department of social services.

  • The Salvation Army.

  • Catholic Social Services.

  • Your local Christian Ministry (may have different names).

  • If you have been a victim of a disaster, such as a house fire, the American Red Cross might help.

  • Bridge of Hope National, 1-866-670-HOPE.

  • Mercy Housing, 1-866-338-0057.

  • National Council of State Housing Agencies,

  • Florence Crittenton Services Sarah’s House (Mother/Child Program), 1-800-448-0024.

  • Our Families, Our Future, 1-307-778-0094.

  • Most homeless shelters maintain a directory of local housing assistance.
Where can I receive emergency babysitting services in case of an emergency, without any fees?


Apply for a program called, Crisis Nursery, which has helped hundreds of families with free childcare services and family support.


For example, Have you ever faced a situation wherein there was nobody to babysit your children no matter how hard you tried or you were not just able to afford the babysitter? Wouldn’t it be great if somebody offered to help you out with babysitting for a day or a night without expecting any fee from you? This is exactly what crisis nursery helps parents with. In addition to emergency childcare, parents who want to achieve stability in their life but are failing to do so despite their repeated attempts can get assistance from one of the staff available in the nursery.

What is Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, (TANF)?


As the name of the welfare program clearly indicates, it is aimed at providing temporary cash assistance for families deemed needy. Those getting approved for benefits will be issued cash assistance in the form of Electronic Benefits Transfer card EBT. The card would work just like a debit card and can be used to manage everyday expenses. The amount of benefits you will get approved for will depend on income, family size and other factors.


Families applying for monetary help might also be able to qualify for childcare assistance, food stamps as well as other programs. The case worker at your local social services office will be able to guide you through all available programs and inform you of the necessary documents required to apply.

bottom of page